Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Background

I guess maybe I should start with who I am and the true basics.  I am a 41 (almost) year old mother to three children.  I have been married to my husband for 17 years (again, almost), and currently live in Cibolo, Texas.  I work for a wonderful company part time, and am a full time soccer mom/chauffeur.  My mother lives with us, which will be a godsend this next year.  We also have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 hermit crabs.    


I have decided to blog about the next year and what it will be like to be a single parent.  My husband is going to Korea for the year, and as my children are getting older, I know that there will be new challenges for me. We have been through a deployment before when the children were much younger, and Scott had one assignment that had him travelling three weeks out of the month, so I know what to expect.  I also know that each assignment is different.  I have approximately a month until Scott leaves for Korea, so I will start with our history.


Scott and I both attended the same high school, and while I would love to say that we were childhood sweethearts, we weren't, but that is okay.  We did date some while I was still in High School, and during college, but we were not committed to each other.  I am kind of glad because it allowed us to become adults independently before we married.  We got married on August 7, 1993 in Elburn, Illinois before a ton of friends and family.  


Scott was already in the military at the time and had already returned from Iraq as he was there during Desert Storm.  He had already returned from being stationed in Germany, and told me that we would get back to Germany. 


After our Honeymoon, Scott returned to Ft. Hamilton where he was currently stationed, and I stayed in the Chicago area working until we got housing.  Being in the military, you are always on a waiting list for housing. I think the only place we did not have to wait for housing was Presidio, but that is another blog.  Eventually we did get an apartment, and my life in the military began.  

No comments:

Post a Comment