Thursday, August 5, 2010

Welcome to the Military!

Ahh...Fort Hamilton.  What an introduction to military life.  My husband secured housing (he he, army terms) about a month after he went back to New York.  Fort Hamilton was located in Brooklyn, New York.  I think it is still there as a MEPS station, but the band left there in October 1994.


So Scott flew back from NY to Chicago and we rented a UHaul to move me from Chicago to NY.  We got all loaded and began the drive with him in the truck and me following behind in the mustang with my two cats.  It was a long trip and took us a day in a half to get there.  We got in 12:30 in the morning, and Scott said that he had some guys lined up to help unload the truck.


The next day Scott was up and out the door for PT at 6:30 (welcome to the Military!!), so I got started , trying to  put the apartment together, when at 7:45 Scott shows back up.  After looking at my quizzical face, he told me that they now have time for breakfast and personal hygiene.  They had to be back in at 10:30.  Okay, I thought, makes sense, although seemed a bit long.  We went with some others out to breakfast, he dropped me off, and went to work.


I went back to work trying to start unpacking when he showed up at 11:30. Okay, now this is silly.  He said he was home for lunch.  I am thinking, whatever happened to the motto, "we do more before 9 am then you do all day"?  We had lunch, and then he went back to work at 1:00.  Now finally I could get some more work done.  Nope, at 3:00 he was back at the apartment.  Done for the day!!!


Some of the guys came over, and had the truck unloaded in about 45 minutes.  If I thought real hard about it, I could probably come up with some names, (Paul, Rob, Phil, Gordon, Steve, Scott W.), but I am sure there were others.  


This is not how it always goes, but what an interesting introduction to being an Army wife.

1 comment:

  1. I AM REALLY ENJOYING READING YOUR STORY LAURA, YOU TELL IT SO WELL, WITH GREAT HUMOR AND JUST ENOUGH DETAIL TO FLESH IT OUT AND BRIEF ENOUGH
    TO KEEP THE STORY FLOWING ALONG FOR A FAST READ.
    ARE YOU SURE YOU ARE NOT WRITING FOR ARMY WIVES?

    I LOOK FORWARD TO CATCHING UP WIHT THE YEARS STORY BY STORY AS I HAVE THE TIME. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR LIFE WIHT US ALL-IT IS WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete