Friday, March 15, 2013

Family Chest

By nature, I am not a writer.  I do not feel comfortable writing about our family quite as much as it may seem.  But by having this blog has forced me to write more about us...currently meals that we share as a family.  It has been difficult to write lately, because we have been eating mostly the same foods.  Spring break is currently upon us, and the kids are enjoying the time away from all of their activities (so is Mom, don't cha know!)

So today, I pulled out a family recipe from the our chest of recipes for us to fix.  Growing up, during the summer, my parents had a home garden more often than not.  They did not grow everything in the garden,, but I do remember tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.  Sarge remembers pretty much the same things, however I do remember them growing corn at least once.

With a surplus of bell peppers, we fixed stuffed peppers as a way of using some of the surplus of vegetables.    Brown some ground beef with onions and chopped bell pepper (I just chopped the tops of the peppers that I opened).  Add diced tomato and cooked rice.  Fill the peppers.  I always have extra filling which I scoop into the pan around the peppers.  Top the peppers with cheese and throw in the oven for about a half hour.

This time, I made a couple of changes, based on what I had on hand.  I used rotel tomatoes instead of regular ones, and topped it with Mexican cheese.  Well, Things Two and Three could tell right off the bat that it was spicier, but they still ate it, once they got used to the heat level.  Thing One ate his rice quickly before we sat down to eat, saying that it smelled really good.  I bet he cannot wait for Lent to be over. :)

I cannot believe that we had never thought of putting the rotel tomatoes into that before.  It did add a little zip to it, and I might think of just using one can and one can of plain, but I used what we had on hand, and it was   very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment