Monday, March 4, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu

When you think of crock pot meals, you traditionally think of soups, stews and anything that is in a sauce.  At least I do.  Because of that preconception, I was surprised when I found other recipes that you could do in the crock pot that do not require a spoon to eat! :)

A recent recipe that I found was for Chicken Cordon Bleu.  This was surprisingly easy to assemble, I did so in about a half hour, early in the morning, and then threw into the refrigerator before I left for the day.  Sarge was home that day, so he was able to put it into the crock pot and start it at noon.  This is another recipe from the Crockin' Girls website, and you can find the full directions there.

Photos courtesy of Google Images


One of the insights that I saw was to put the chicken breasts into a zip lock bag before you pound them out.  I found some chicken breasts at the store that were thinly sliced, so that also helped cut down the pounding time.  I did not zip the bag shut, but just held my hand over the open side.





So, you pound the breasts thin, and then place a couple of slices of deli ham on it, top with a slice of Swiss cheese, and roll it up.  You can secure it with toothpicks, just have to remember they are in there. :)


Then it gets a bath of egg and milk mixture, before rolling it in stuffing mix.  I think next time I do it, I will probably crush the stuffing so it sticks better.  Before you place them in the crock pot, you should put a can of either cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.  Then you can place them on the bottom of the crock pot.




Since I have an oval pot, I was able to place all five of them on the bottom of the pot.  I am not sure if they can be layered, or if I will need to use two crockpots, but will try and figure that out next time I cook them since all at the table ate a whole one.

My results with Green Beans!



It was a great meal to come home to after being on my feet all day running!

No comments:

Post a Comment