Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chipotle for Dessert!

I have to admit that I grew up with a very bland palate.  Not that my parents didn't expose me to lots of foods, but it tended to be a very basic mid-western diet.  My grandfather and father both used to grow Hungarian Hot Peppers and I was taught at a very young age how to eat them.  But those couple of times when I didn't eat them correctly, it taught me that I did not like that burning sensation that seemed to last for an eternity.  I don't care what anyone tells me, bread and milk just do not cut that.

Sarge, on the other hand has what I have decided is a cast iron stomach.  During Desert Storm, he actually received a holster and several bottles of Tabasco sauce from McIlhenny corporation who returned his check and request for a couple of bottles to tide him over while he was deployed.  Since then, Sarge has expanded his taste and has gone through many different hot sauce tastes.  Sarge has worked diligently over the past twenty years to try and build up my heat tolerance, and while it is increasing, it is not where he is yet.   He and Thing One regularly use Sirachi sauce on the table when I cook.

A while back, when cruising through Costco, I came across a sample that was and interesting combination of flavors.  They had crackers that they were putting a swipe of cream cheese on and then a drop of a Raspberry Chipotle sauce on it.  Sarge loved the sauce, and surprisingly, I found it mild enough that I liked it too.  So we bought a bottle.

About two years ago, I started having occasions to bring desserts for different events, and was getting tired of making cupcakes, brownies and cookies for everything.  So, I found a recipe for mini cherry cheesecakes.  They are easy to make and travel pretty well.  It is also a nice surprise for people.  The cupcake size is good for eating without having too much of a good thing.

Then I had a brilliant idea of making the cheesecakes and using the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce on top.  We were having a dinner party, and I wanted to have a dessert that was not super sweet.  It was a huge success!    The sauce made it more of a savory dessert, rather than a sweet dessert.

Recently, I made them for our directors and a judge who had to do an evening deal.  I made some with the cherry topping, but also made some of them with the Raspberry Chipotle sauce.  The Judge loved the savory treats enough that our Hospitality Chair was emailing me during the competition because she was asking for what they were called.  Always a good feeling when something different turns out right. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment