Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Sunday

Everyone has different ways of celebrating the Super Bowl.  We used to have a party or go to a party a long time ago, but after having kids, it just doesn't seem like a good environment for them when they are little.

A couple of years ago, Sarge had to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras festivities which that year was before and after the Super Bowl.  The Things were kind of bummed that dad was not going to be around, so we decided to have our own little party and have some fun foods for them to eat.  We have kept the tradition going ever since.  We have done large spreads, but this past year I decided to slim it down a little.  No sense in having a huge buffet that has to be put into the fridge at the end of the night.

I asked everyone for one thing they wanted, and then figured that I could fill it out from there:

Add caption

Thing Three wanted spray cheese.  She asks for the same thing every year.  And every year it giggles me.  It is something that I never have in the house, so she thinks it is just the best thing!  Although, I did notice that she did not eat that much of it.  She did eat a couple of plain wings and a popper or two.  Its nice to see her taste buds maturing.




Photo credit: The South in my Mouth



Ms. Daisy wanted a cheesy salsa dip with Rotel tomatoes and Velveeta   It is something that goes back a long way and is just yummy.  Nice thing about this dip is that we can reheat it easily later on.



photo credit: Ole & Shaina Olmanson

Thing Two wanted our jalapeno poppers.  These are bacon wrapped jalapenos that are stuffed with a cheese mixture made from cream cheese, Mexican cheese, seasonings, and fresh cilantro.  Sarge had these once while we were stationed in Kentucky, and we have been making them ever since.  We did do them with Turkey Bacon a couple of times, and while they were okay, it is just not the same.  We have tried them also using a more mild pepper, but we have decided to keep them the same.


photo credit: Grades First



Someone asked for hot wings, might have been me, I cannot remember.  So Sarge fixed those for us as well.    Unfortunately, I purchased the wrong chicken wings, so instead of those cute little drummettes, we had these huge things that seemed way to big for the concept.  They still tasted fabulous, but were nothing like what you think of when you order buffalo wings.




Thing One had a Teen ACTS meeting on Super Bowl Sunday to get ready for the retreat coming up this week, so he did not get a vote in what to have.  He might have been the wings.  We told him we would have enough that he could have some when he got home.  He was bummed that he was going to be missing the Super Bowl, but excited about the upcoming retreat.


Our own Gumbo!!!
Sarge decided that he was going to try his hand at making gumbo for the Super Bowl since it was in New Orleans this year.  I think the hardest thing that I had to find for that was the File powder.  It was very good, and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.   I had never had a gumbo before.  I was never much of a spice person growing up, I was more of the Kraft Mac & Cheese with Burgers type.  Not that my parents didn't cook wonderful foods, I just tended to stick with the more mild tastes.  Sarge has slowly worked me up to having spicier foods.  I know it has been a challenge for him, but he seems up to the challenge.


The kids also had some yummy cupcakes for dessert, but I just could not hang.  All in all it was a great menu, and a wonderful Super Bowl.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been for my team to have been in it, but it just was not in the cards. Oh well, maybe next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment