Monday, September 13, 2010

Countdown begins

Okay, so a week from today Scott leaves.  It has seemed like it was so far away for so long, that now I cannot believe that it is going to happen so soon.  This week will be chaotic, with movers coming to ship what he is going to take to Korea.  It shouldn't be much, it looks like he will be living in a furnished apartment.


Emotions are running high in the household.  I think the kids get that he is going to Korea, so we can stay here.  All the kids are loving the classes/schools this year, and we did not want to uproot them again.  This morning Aidan realized that if Scott wasn't going to Korea, that we would be moving again this fall.  Even Mackenzie, who has struggled (socially, not academically) at school since we moved to SA, is now liking her pod at school and would not want to move.  Still, she did say today that she wished the 20th would never come.  Brigid responded to her," then Dad would just have to leave on the 21st."  It was like the lightbulbs went on.


I relate the emotions of the kids to little thunderheads.  They seem to be floating along doing their thing, but when there is a clash, it explodes right away.  It is even true between them and us.  I think that once Scott does leave and the kids settle down into their normal routine, it should settle down.  I know it will also help when he is there and they see that we can skype on a regular basis with him it will help.  Scott will be 14 hours ahead, so it might be kind of challenging to set up times, but we will figure that out.


I know that Scott does not want to move to Korea, but that he knows it is what is best for the family.  He has been in the military for 21 years now, so he could retire to avoid the move, but with the economy the way it is, I know he was not looking forward to the prospect of trying to find a job.  It is quite a sacrifice that he is making for us, and I love him dearly for it.  It will be difficult for us, but I think more so for him.  I know that he is worried about leaving me here to take care of the household by myself, but I have Mom to help, and I know that there are many people that I can call if I need anything.


I just plan to take it one day at a time.  Thankfully, I know from Scott's deployment to Iraq in 2003 that the kids being involved in things is what kept me going.  I knew I had to get them to their activities, so I could not just sit around and withdraw from everything.  So now my kids are probably over-involved, and it is actually for my sanity, as odd as that sounds.


So, one more week.  We do have plans for a date night on Friday, and there is all the normal family stuff with a birthday added as well.  We had Brigid's kid birthday for her yesterday.  Also had friends over for a BBQ, which made for a fun evening.  Next weekend we will pull in ranks and spend as much time as a family before he leaves Monday. It will be fine! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment