Monday, September 20, 2010

Today, he left...

So by now, you pretty much know the early history of our Army life.  I haven't even gotten to the part about his deployment to Iraq in 2003, and already he left for Korea today.  We spent the last couple of days trying to fit in what we could.  


Friday night, Scott and I went out on a date to a Brazilian restaurant called Fogo De Chao.  That was a wonderful place with a great salad bar and the meat just keeps coming around.  It was nice to be out with Scott and not to be actually talking about the kids all the time.  We did talk about them some, but our whole dinner conversation did not revolve around them.


Saturday we went to the girl's soccer games.  They both played very well, and we got almost all the way home before the torrential downpour started.  The afternoon we spent getting laundry done and making sure everything was ready for him to pack.  Scott grilled a couple of whole chickens up, which would give us extra for sandwiches.  Yum!!  Saturday night, the realization that daddy was leaving started to sink in for Mackenzie.  Scott spent some time with her, and seemed to help her work through it.


Sunday we went to Mass as a family.  Even though Scott had become part of the choir for Knights of Columbus, he decided that he wanted to stay with us for Mass.  It was nice having all of us sit together.  Sunday afternoon between driving back and forth for RE and Youth Group, Scott took Mackenzie for one last ride on the bike and took Aidan to Garden Ridge for an impromptu driving lesson.  He won't get his permit till next summer, but Scott wanted to be able to take him out at least once.  We had a nice family dinner in the evening.  Scott said goodnight and goodbye to the kids, and finished packing.


This morning 4 am came way too early.  We spent some time together (both of us did our daily spin on bejeweled :) ) and I made the kids lunches while Scott got ready to go.  Aidan got up early to say goodbye to dad, and actually watched us from the front porch as we left to take Scott to the Airport.  I saw that same look in his eyes when he said goodbye to his dad way back in First Grade.  I know that he probably remembers all too well those feelings.  He is a good kid and covers it well, but I know it is hard on him.


The trip to the airport was uneventful, but it was really difficult saying goodbye to Scott.  I just didn't want to let him go, but as we were in a no parking zone, we kind of had to finish our goodbyes.  The drive back was very emotional for me.  I know that I will be okay.  Mom is here to help me, and I have plenty of friends.  In a way I am kind of relieved.  It was so long in coming, that the last week seemed like it was dragging by.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't want Scott to leave, but now we can start counting down until he comes home.  Of course I guess I should wait to start that countdown until her gets into country, which should be in a couple of hours. :)  


Day 1 done, only 364 more to go, but whose counting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment