Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grades

Grades are a very sore topic here in the Krbec household.  Some days its good, some days its bad.  For some reason, there has become an issue that doing homework is optional.  And then, even if it is done, not always turned in.  Why someone would do the work and not turn it in is beyond me.  I also have issues with being lied to about whether there is homework to be done or not.  As if I would not find out about it!  Or saying it is done, but not knowing why there is no credit given for it.  


Aidan is finding out this year that he can no longer slide by, and dig himself back out of a hole near the end of the quarter.  He saw that last quarter with Geometry, and is now running the risk of not being able to go to NY because of being ineligible when progress reports come out.  He is going to lose a lot if he is ineligible for the trip, since it cost us $1500+ to go on, all of which will be non-refundable!!!


Mackenzie is rushing through some of her work and then getting poor grades.  We have even redone some of her homework (she did, I supervised), but I think she is not turning it in.  She is now running the risk of being ineligible for band and choir.  I really thought that one of her teachers would mark her as ineligible to be in band because of her grade, but the teacher said that it was not fair to her because there was only one grade on the book.  While I agree that there should be more grades in to decide on, I am not sure how I feel about giving her a break.  How is she going to learn.  


Even Brigid, who has been a straight A student all year, is down to a C in one subject after a 43 on an assignment.  A 43, are you kidding me??? Cannot wait to see what she did to get that!!!  That tells me that she did not even do the work.  


It totally surprises me that these good kids would subject themselves to not getting the best grades possible.  Aidan is starting to get the concept that every grade counts, but is still willing to skip redoing an assignment that is missing and get the zero than to redo the assignment and get at least partial credit for it.  I did learn this year that at the High School, it is possible to redo 2 tests per quarter (I think) for a better grade.  


I really hope that this gets better soon.  What the kids do not realize yet, is that with the change in my work schedule, I will have more time to hound them and make sure they are doing what needs to be done.  Maybe this is just a ploy on their part for me not to work...It's working, and they will wish I had someplace else to direct my attention!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment