Monday, January 10, 2011

Cooking

My husband is a fabulous cook.  Ask anyone who has had his cooking, and they will tell you just that.  I can only think of one thing that he has ever cooked that we just could not eat.  We won't talk about that, because I know that he is still wants to redeem himself on it.  He is one of those guys that you can say, here is some pork, make something with it.  He did, he created a pork tarragon with it, and it was fabulous!  


So now with him gone for the year, I am left holding the bag (or package of meat).  I know how to cook, but my cooking is more utilitarian.  I follow recipes, and get a meal on the table.  Scott is the one that has the flare for cooking.  I try and make some of his dishes, and they come out okay, but I concede that his always taste better. I am okay with that, it just means he has to cook!


We had Ahi Tuna in the freezer, and I decided that it was time to get it out of there.  Scott does an awesome seared Ahi Tuna with twin sauces; one a wasabi mayonnaise and the other a ginger honey sauce.  I got something close to a recipe from him (the other part is that he never measures ANYTHING).  And off I went.  


I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out okay.  The kids all ate it, and had seconds.  Even Brigid, who turns her nose up at many things, had 2 servings.  Of course, I think she was floating the tuna in the ginger honey sauce, but she still ate it.  I served it with rice (which I told Aidan he could add some of the wasabi mayo to it - more appealing to him) and a cauliflower, broccoli, carrot mix.  Again, we discussed cost, and I realized that since we only needed 3 pieces from the bag to feed us, it really was a pretty cheap and quick meal.  And probably more healthy.  I still am not going to be overly creative in the kitchen, but at least my kids won't starve or be stuck eating chicken nuggets (they won't eat hot dogs!) and macaroni and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment