Sunday, January 9, 2011

Popcorn

Tonight was movie night.  Saturday nights have traditionally been movie night here.  It started back when we were in Germany and Scott was deployed to Iraq.  It was my way of getting the kids in the house and showered early on Saturdays so we could leave on time for Church in the morning.  At the time I had a 7, 4 and 2 year old (how did I do that???), and we would have an early dinner, get showered and make a big bowl of popcorn and watch a movie.  Of course that meant purchasing movies, or sometimes renting them if we remembered to.  


It was easy back then because all three of the kids were at the age where you could watch Disney movies.  Now it is more difficult with the kids 14,11, and 9, they all have different tastes.  Sometimes we can watch movies together, but it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find ones that appeal to all.  It is also more difficult when they have already seen many of the movies from going to other activities (long band trips on charter buses mean lots of movies being played).  


So tonight we watched Despicable Me.  Cute movie.  Mackenzie and I had seen it last spring for a Mom and Me outing.  I thought Aidan had watched it on the bus going to state, but he said he didn't watch it.  About half way through the movie, Brigid asks the usual question..."Can we have popcorn, I'll make it?"  This is usually followed by a "where is it?" as she is standing in front of the pantry door. 


 I wound up making it, and while looking at the calorie content realized something interesting.  Unpopped popcorn is 170 calories per serving, but popped it is only 35 calories per serving!  And that is for the Movie Theater Butter popcorn. 


The kids and I were discussing it, and one statement that was made was "that maybe when it pops the calories pop out of it".  I laughed, that reminded me of the statement that calories fall out of cookies when you break them!  I think it is because when the kernel pops the sugar inside of it cooks out.  Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment