Saturday, January 8, 2011

Working for a Living, working...

I really like my job.  


Life in the military, especially being a military spouse means that you never know how long you are going to be in one place.  When we were stationed in San Francisco, I was actually told not to mention that I was a military spouse when I was looking for a job.  Granted, that was San Francisco, but the career counselor that was helping me told me that some employers were hesitant to hire military spouses because they never know how long they are going to be around.  I never lied, but I did at one point give the response "he works in public relations" when asked what my husband does.  Okay, so it was a stretch of the truth, but it was not a lie, being a bandsman, he does do a lot of public relations gigs.  I have had the full gamut of jobs - fast food, restaurant, department store, specialty shop, receptionist, teacher, customer service rep....ugh, the list goes on and on.


For 11 years my main focus has been running the household and raising our 3 wonderful kids.  When we moved to Texas, we figured it would be the right time for me to go back to work.  Hmmm...okay, so I had  4 years of spanish in school, but I cannot speak it fluently, so forget anything that requires me to be bilingual.  That takes out at least 50% of the jobs. 


 I had applied at a couple of places and finally decided to put my college to work and put my sub packet in for the district.  I had my orientation meeting for subbing and was called by a prospective employer the same week.  Subbing was nice for a while, could work when I wanted to, not work when I didn't feel like it, but I didn't like not knowing ahead of time when I would be working.  


The other prospect was Hogan Homes, working as a part time hostess.  I would be filling in when the regular hostess could not make it.  Initially, it gave me some hours, but was sporadic.  I didn't think that I would stay with them for long...it was very boring at first.  I would bring in Girl Scout stuff to do if there were no customers (sorry Michelle, if you are reading this!).  Eventually, my boss started having me do extra tasks, and by attrition, I moved up the hostess ladder.  Then my boss gave me to another boss who taught me more skills, and started giving me more projects.  


This past year, the company has allowed me to start doing some work from home.  My boss has been very good about working around my schedule (especially since Scott has been gone) and was very understanding about me needing to leave early on Fridays for football this fall. And being home when the kids come home to make sure homework was getting done (something that was slacking at times before).  I have worked with the sales counselors developing flyers that they can use to give to customers.  It gives me a chance to be a little more creative, and I love that I am learning to do new things everyday that I can incorporate into my work.


Today, I was copied on an email from our VP of Sales saying that she likes the flyers that I have been doing in one of the other communities, and wants the sales counselors from the rest of the communities to get with me about making flyers for their listings.  Job security, and a feeling of accomplishment.


I really like my job.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Have u tried a home bus? It could be in addition to you current work. Then when u move you would have no worriez about looking for a new job

    ReplyDelete