Sunday, January 16, 2011

Giney vs. the scorpion

I have been thinking about this blog for a couple of days, but have been so tired, have not had the energy to write it.  


I truly believe now that just as people have different characteristics to help them with where they live (we are talking origins) so do animals.  I recently learned that hair color and textures have to do with whether you ancestors were close to or further away from the equator.  Animals are the same way.  We can see this with particularly with dogs.  The ones that have to be out in colder weather are the breeds that normally have thicker coats than the one that are out in the heat.  


When we moved to Texas, we had 1 grandma, 2 parents, 3 kids, 2 dogs and 1 cat.  Brigid eventually added a beta fish (x2) into the mix.  Mackenzie wanting her own pet, kept begging me for a turtle.  Seeing as I was not fond of the idea of having a turtle, we got another cat.  I have always said that dogs should be female and cats should be male in the house.  It just works better.  But, when we went to the pet store, the only males that we saw were either one that looked almost identical to Bradley, or a black one.  And since we have 2 black dogs, was not feeling the love on the thought of a black cat.  (I will have you know however, that Giney's brother is the black cat, who was adopted by my friend, and is an awesome cat!)


Giney is a Texas cat.  She eats just about anything.  She will eat the dog food, she will eat candy that is out.  I caught her licking the rim of the crockpot the other day.  And that was after Mom caught her taking sausage out of the skillet.  She eats paper, or anything else that seems of interest to her.  It can be annoying, but she has definitely earned her keep in the house for the one thing she takes care of for me.  She eats scorpions!


Scorpion in light fixture
We have found they cannot get out of glass containers.  Light fixtures in particular.  Now for all those who think they get in the walls and fall into the containers, let me set you straight.  NO, they don't.  Brigid was in the bathroom one Sunday morning, upset.  Apparently a scorpion had run under the door, freaked her out, and ran back under. I started looking for the critter, turned on the hall light, looked up to see it running around in the light fixture.  It stayed there until it died.


Now, it is not like we have an infestation of scorpions, but living on the back edge of a subdivision with a green belt behind us, and still having quite a bit of construction going on in the subdivision, it happens.  I do not like scorpions, and do not want to get stung by one.  To the best of my knowledge, we have only had half a dozen or so in the house.  The first one, I put it in a jar, and let the kids watch it run around.  


One morning I found Giney carrying one.  I got it away from her, and killed it.  She seemed upset at that.  Since then, I have seen Bradley talk to them and let me know when he finds one, but I have also found pieces of them, like an occasional leg or part of a tail.  So far, it does not seem to be bothering anyone, so that is good, and I am not finding scorpions anymore.  So while she might be a pain as far as eating anything that is left out, and she is not slow coming for treats, she has earned her place in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment