Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolutions

Well, as the new year has come, we all make resolutions.  I have made several resolutions.  Some that I will keep to myself for now (so if I fail, I only have to explain them to myself) and some that I can share.  One of them is to be better about blogging.  I am going to try and start blogging everyday.  I make no guarantees, but I figure if I blog in the evening about the day, it will be easier.  


Today was a Seguin day.  That means driving to the great community of Seguin to the LDS genealogy library.  Mom does genealogy, so this gives her a chance to and order films and to look at other records for more of her ancestral research.  I tend to take my laptop with to try and get some work done, or to prepare for the girl scout meeting.  While there I will also run whatever errands that need to be done.  


Mackenzie did not have honor band today, so both of the girls were home right after school.  It is a good thing when they come home right after school.  It gives them a little extra time to get homework done.  Mackenzie had  math to work on, and Brigid worked on the words for her upcoming spelling bee.  She made it past the first round, so now he has 450 words for her to practice to help her prepare for the next round.  It should be interesting, I don't even know how to spell some of those words!  Aidan didn't have German Club today, his teacher cancelled it.  He is treasurer of the club, but it does not seem to entail anything.  But he can add it to his college application.  


Mackenzie had her first vocal private lesson today.  She is going to be studying with the High School vocal teacher.  This teacher is the director for the District Honor Choir, and she feels that Mackenzie is on the cusp of making a leap in her vocal abilities.  It will be neat to she how she develops with some formal instruction. Today, most of her lesson was spent on warm up exercises, but the teacher seems to be doing a lot with diction, vowels and breathing, so that is a good thing.


As I sit her typing, I am at the gym for Brigid's gymnastics.  She is developing slowly, some things she is very strong on, and others not as much.  She is currently working on beam, and while she can do some of the stuff, like cartwheels and handstands on the beam, she has a hard time with levers and some of the basic jumps.  It is very frustrating, because she thinks she is doing it correctly, and won't listen to me if I tell her that she is dropping her arms or something....


Aidan has added jazz band to his schedule, like he needed another after school activity.  I think he figures that since marching band is finally over (after the football team won state), except for the celebration parade next week.  Of course, on Monday he came home upset because he is in the second band.  I told him that means one of three things - either he didn't do as well as he thought he did, or he is getting cocky at school, and one of the directors needed to smack him down, or the third possibility is that they put him in the second band so he could be on lead part.  After talking with him, and with who is in each of the bands, it seems like the director might have tried to split the talent up between both bands so they both sound good.  On top of that, he informs me that he is going to be in a trombone quartet???  Gee, I wonder when that will be...

I was able to get most of dinner preped before I took Mackenzie to her lesson, and Mom fixed the noodles while I was gone, so it was just final prep work when I got home, and we had dinner on the table by 6:30.  It is always good when it gets done like it is supposed to.  Now I am just waiting patiently for Brigid's class to be over, and then her private lesson.  After that, I am done, maybe have a baby Guinness, and then off to bed.  Dishes are already done, and coffee is made for tomorrow.  That was one of my other resolutions, to keep my kitchen clean. So far so good.  I also want to this year work on de-cluttering my house.  I have done the pantry (sort of) and the coat closet.  I guess another resolution should be for me to stay on task better when writing.  Oh well, it will be something for me to improve upon during this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment