Monday, January 24, 2011

Grandma Wanda

On Friday, 1-21-11, my grandmother passed away.  It was surprising, but not totally unexpected.  My grandmother was 89 years old.  She had breast cancer about 20 years ago, and was repeatedly having skin cancers removed.  A couple of years ago, she fell and broke her pelvis, and since she had osteoporosis, she never totally healed from it.  She had been in a nursing home for the past 3 years at various levels.  So, like I said, I was surprised and sad, but knew she was at peace.  My grandfather fell a couple of weeks ago, and since the doctors have decided that he should not live by himself.  So in the past month he has gone from living in his condo, and visiting granny every day (for most of the day), to being in a different wing of the same nursing home and walking down (with a walker) to see granny as his physical therapy, to granny being gone.  I cannot begin to imagine what he must be going through.  

My other grandmother died when I was in fourth grade.  I think that my grandpa (Beryl) died when my brother was in fourth grade.  My father died when Aidan was in fourth grade, and Scott's grandfather died when Mackenzie was in fourth grade.  I am not suggesting that is the only years we have lost family, but it is quite a coincidence to me.  After Mom let me know that Granny had passed away and we had cried, she said "well, at least I am off the hook".   We both laughed.  

I loved my grandmother.  She was a different person.  She was born in 1921 and grew up during the depression.  This probably was the cause of her accumulation of stuff.  She was not a hoarder, but she did want her stuff.  She was married the first time in 1938 at the age of 16 (probably to get out of the house).  My father was born exactly 1 year later.  My aunt was born in 42.  Granny and her husband divorced, and then she married Gus in 49.  I never knew my father's dad.  Gus was the only grandfather that I have ever known (my mother's father died when she was 18).  He is a great man and I pray that he deals with Granny's death.    My other aunt was born in 52.  My grandmother had 7 grandchildren, 20 great grandchildren and I think a couple of great great grandchildren.  What a legacy!  

I had not seen Granny in the past couple of years.  Military life does not always allow travel when you want (or can afford).  And it always seems like something comes up.  I hope that Granny knows how much we loved her, and knows that we prayed for her on a regular basis.  I feel bad that my kids do not remember her as much as they probably should.  Aidan remembers her and being at the condo, but I am not sure about the girls.  I know it upset both of them when I told them, but I am not sure it is because of their memories, or just because it was someone related to us.

R.I.P. Wanda B Gulyban  8/10/21 - 1/21/11  you will be missed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment