Sunday, January 23, 2011

Skyping Through the Separation

Skype is a wonderful thing.  I am so thankful for the increase in technology in the past 20 years.  It is amazing to me that in 1991, twenty years ago, the way Scott an I communicated when he was in Iraq and Kuwait was by mail. In 2003-4, when he was again in Iraq, we were able to instant message back and forth with a webcam, but without sound.  We were at least able to see each other, and I guess in one instance, it was better that I did not "hear" what was going on.  


Last spring, as his impending move was coming up, we started playing around with Skype.  It seemed interesting, but did not have a real need to get to know it.  When Scott went up to Michigan last summer, he even set up his Mom with Skype, so she would be able to contact Scott.  Of course, she forgot how to use it, but after several times of me walking her through it on the phone, she can now contact him.  Now if she would just remember the time change! LOL.  


We try and talk to each other everyday.  It does seem to help somewhat.  I try and call before the girls leave for school, so he can see them and see how they are doing.   Of course, being girls, they are not always ready on time to get a chance to talk (when did that start???).  I also call him back after I come back from the bus stop, and we talk while Aidan is eating breakfast.  Aidan doesn't like Dad to see him eat, but other than that, it is not bad.


It was especially good to have on Christmas, so Scott was able to be with us as the kids opened presents.  I had my laptop on the coffee table, so Scott was the center of attention.  He even waited until our Christmas morning to open his presents, even though for him, it was about 11 p.m.  


It is frustrating when the picture gets pixely (not sure if that is a word or not), I think it is more frustrating for Scott than for me.  I know what he looks like.  But I am thankful for the opportunity to talk with him and see him.  It makes it not as difficult for us to feel connected.  It is not the same as being here, but I am thankful that we have this opportunity to connect.  Thank goodness for technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment